The Land Portal is a Foundation registered in the Netherlands in 2014.
The vision of the Portal is to improve land governance to benefit those with the most insecure land rights and the greatest vulnerability to landlessness through information and knowledge sharing.
The discussion is now closed.
A summary report of this online discussion is available here.
This online discussion is exploring two main questions:
- How can customary law and governance institutions be strengthened to ensure social inclusion, secure community access to land and effective management of natural resources?
- How can these institutions best be protected against corrupt and authoritarian leadership and capture by local elites and global business partners?
During the two weeks of discussion we will critically examine the role of customary institutions in protecting community land rights. We will also collect recommendations on these issues to support the design and implementation of policy, development initiatives and research for better land governance in the SADC countries and other regions with similar challenges.
Check the full concept note and questions to be discussed in each week on the right side.
How can I participate in the debate?
The discussion is now open until 9th July! Follow these steps to participate & post your comments:
- Login or register to Land Portal
- Visit this page again (you can open this page in a separate tab/window in your browser and reload it once you are logged in)
- Click on 'Reply' or 'Add a comment' at the bottom of the page
The structure of the discussion
The online discussion will be open for two weeks, until 9th July.
In the first week (28 June - 4 July) we focused on experiences from specific countries - see the Discussion threads below.
In the second week (5 - 9 July) we are concentrating the debate in this main page, reflecting on common challenges and recommendations for Southern Africa and other regions of interest for participants.
See the earlier posts on specific country threads:
Every day the moderators will post summaries of the different country threads in the plenary space (this page, see at the bottom). We will pull out key issues and questions for wider discussion. In this way we hope to be able to enable detailed localised discussions to emerge in the country clusters and to draw on these to enrich and shape the overall debate.