Throughout the world, developing and emerging economies are experiencing unparalleled pressures on land resulting from climate change and population growth, which has led to increasing investments and speculation in agricultural and forest lands. Much of the arable land in Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean is held by states, which are encouraging land investments, and over the last decades millions of hectares have shifted from public to private hands, resulting in significant land conflict and frequently the marginalization of smallholder farmers and indigenous communities. The Voluntary Guidelines on Governance of Tenure (VGGT) were endorsed by the CFS in May 2012 as the first global norm on land tenure to address these issues. How far have we come?
This side event, which will encourage open dialogue, will present successful efforts related to increasing the transparency of land governance and how these have been beneficial in enhancing food security and nutrition. Representatives from multi-stakeholder groups, farmers’ organizations, civil society, government and an international media organization will share their experiences of how open data, improved accountability in large scale land transactions and secure land tenure and property rights are a necessary conditions for achieving food security and better nutrition.
- Facilitator: Neil Sorensen, Communications and Resource Mobilization Specialist, Land Portal Foundation
- Laura Meggiolaro, Land Portal Coordinator, Land Portal Foundation
- Video message by Jun Virola, Knowledge Management Officer and Land Matrix Asia Regional Focal Point, Asian Farmers Association (AFA)Oumar Sylla, Unit Leader of the Global Land Tool Network (GLTN)
- Frits vander Wal, Senior Policy Advisor – Cluster Food & Nutrition Security, Focal Point Land Governance, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands
- Julian Quan, Team Leader | DFID - LEGEND Land Support Team | Livelihoods and Institutions Department | Natural Resources Institute | University of Greenwich
- Astrid Zweynert, Head of Digital News/Deputy Editor at the Thomson Reuters Foundation
- Auxtin Ortiz Etxeberria, Director of the World Rural Forum (WRF)
- Ana Barbosa, Executive Secretary of the CPLP
Date: Wednesday, the 19th of October, 2016
Location: Headquarters of the FAO, Iraq Room (Bldg A/B on the 2nd floor) from 18:00-19:30.