Community / Land projects / Sudan Rural Land and Governance Project
Sudan Rural Land and Governance Project
01/11 - 01/14
This project is part of
The Sudan Rural Land and Governance (SRLG) project is a follow-on project to the Sudan Property Rights Program (SPRP), which assisted the Government of Southern Sudan (GOSS) to develop a draft land policy based on extensive public consultation and research, as well as provided support to build the capacity of the South Sudan Land Commission (SSLC). The Sudan Rural Land and Governance project helps to harmonize the land policy with the 2009 Land Act, supports two selected States and two Counties governments for more effective land administration and planning.
The goal of this project is to define and establish rural land governance institutions and processes so as to promote property rights, encourage sound land use management, mitigate conflict, reduce the potential for rural landowners to be divested of their land, and to encourage broad based participation in future land allocation, management, and investment decisions.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance at the National level to South Sudan Land Commission to refine the Land Act 2009 and other related legislation as a result of the final policy outcomes,
- Develop draft implementing regulations at the State-level to stipulate land governance processes and related institutions in rural areas,
- Pilot these regulations through establishment and operationalization of at least two County Land Authorities (CLAs), and
- Build capacity of State and County level land authorities through site specific actions to secure land tenure and improve land use planning in each of the two counties to attract local and foreign investments.
- 3,758 families/parcels and 286.27 km2 demarcated in Yambio Payam, Western Equatoria State.
- Communities involved in land inventory consulted on investment planning opportunities, risks and benefits via consultation. Discussions between potential investors and communities have been initiated by the project.
- Methodology for landscape-scale land use planning in the Sudd area of Bor County completed and Bor County Land Authority trained in its implementation.
- Land use map and agreed rules governing access and use of the Sudd in Bor County established and will be vetted by the communities.
- County Land Authority office buildings constructed in Yambio County, Western Equatoria State and Bor County, Jonglei State and officially handed over to the county authorities.
- Management plans, budgets, and codes of ethics for Yambio County, Western Equatoria State and Bor County, Jonglei State County Land Authorities completed.
- 20 Yambio County, Western Equatoria State and Bor County, Jonglei State County Land Authority Representatives selected and fully trained to improve technical and management capacity pertaining to land administration and adjudication.
- Final analysis of Land Act 2009 and other related legislation identifying critical gaps and inconsistencies with the Land Policy completed.