The overarching objective of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group is to spur sustainable economic development and social progress in its regional member countries (RMCs), thus contributing to poverty reduction.
The Bank Group achieves this objective by:
- mobilizing and allocating resources for investment in RMCs; and
- providing policy advice and technical assistance to support development efforts.
In 2000, all multilateral development institutions have agreed on a same set of objectives, called the Millennium Development Goals (MDG). They are:
Millennium Development Goals
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Improve maternal health
- Achieve universal primary education
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Reduce child mortality
- Develop a global partnership for development