Afrique du Sud
See map: Google Maps
The Oxpeckers Center for Investigative Environmental Journalism is Africa’s first journalistic investigation unit focusing on environmental issues. The Oxpeckers #MineAlert enables the tracking and sharing of mining applications and licences and provides analytic reporting on mining and land related issues. The Center combines traditional investigative reporting with data analysis and geo-mapping tools to expose eco-offences and track organised criminal syndicates.
Oxpeckers is a non-profit company that aims to dramatically improve the quality and impact of African environmental journalism, by:
- Providing a home for investigative journalists interested in environmental issues;
- Hosting geo-narrative platforms that use cutting-edge mapping techniques and forensic data tools to improve reportage;
- Sharing investigative resources / source documents / data, as well as specialist tools and skills through Oxpeckers manuals and workshops;
- Curating specialist environmental reporting and research projects on behalf of media partners;
- Publishing our own exclusive environmental investigations, in both legacy and new media, as well as through eBooks and other channels.