The HSRC Press is a non-profit publisher committed to the dissemination of high quality social science publications, in print and electronic form. The HSRC Press is a hybrid press, with a mandate to disseminate Human Sciences Research Councilresearch output and other valuable social science research. It supports the social science research community through a strong commitment to ‘opening access to quality social science in Africa’.
Some of our distinguishing features include:
- Free access to information via our open access electronic publishing model;
- Our print publications do not go ‘out of print’ when market demand drops; instead our electronic publishing model enables us to archive material and supply copies in small quantities;
- Our print-based publications are significantly more affordable as the sale prices for print based publications do not include profit margins;
- Unusual attention is paid to each publication we produce as we are not constrained by the commercial demand of publishing a large numbers of titles annually;
- The formal peer-review process guarantees the highest academic quality.
The Press has a very active local and international marketing programme, in addition to collaborating with foreign publishers on specific titles.