Posting Title: Programme Management Officer, Human Settlements, P4 (Temporary Job Opening)
Job Code Title: Programme Management Officer, Human Settlements
Department/Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Duty Station: KINSHASA
Posting Period: 17 August 2021 – 15 September 2021
Job Opening Number: 21-Human Settlements-UN-HABITAT-162034-J-Kinshasa (E)
Staffing Exercise: N/A
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
UN-HABITAT helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer, healthier, greener places with better opportunities where everyone can live in with dignity. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development. Currently, UN-Habitat is supporting the Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to improve land governance for sustainable peace and security and to tackle urban related challenges in the country.
With the rapid trend of urbanization in DR Congo, there is a dire need from the country to establish national urban policies, frameworks and urban program to harness the value of the sustainable urbanization for peace and development in the country.
This position is located in the Regional Office for African of UNHABITAT at the Kinshasa duty station.
Within delegated authority, the Team Leader will contribute to a results-oriented programmatic response in DRC in the application of UNHABITAT expertise on land and urban governance to meet the sustainable development goals (SDGS), the New Urban Agenda and the peace and stability frameworks in the country (International Stabilization Support Strategy (I4S). The Team Leader is both a substantive expert – responsible for the operation of planning and execution of the program – and a coordinator/supervisor of the activities of assigned staff and consultants, ensuring that their technical tasks are implemented in the most efficient and effective manner in line with quality management standards and the results-based approach. The team leader will be responsible for the following duties:
- Planning: support the Pool Head in preparing and implementing annual work and resource plans; assess their applicability within the overall annual and quarterly plan and monitoring framework; recognize and actively seek ways to exploit conflict sensitivity approach and techniques of communication for development to address risks, organizational and technical issues.
- Team Leadership: provide own team with a clear direction and substantive support; delegate work and motivate staff.
- Urban planning and governance: provide technical assistant to Ministers concerned with urban development in the country (National and provincial); and support program developments to address urban related challenged in articulation with national development priorities.
- Land use planning and policy: provide expert land regulations and use knowledge; participate in proposing and developing land use planning solutions; support the development and implementation of appropriate procedural and technical consultation mechanisms in liaison with team members; participate and oversee women and youth involvement in land use planning, and provide support for the drafting of conceptual framework for provincial spatial planning in collaboration with provincial authorities and institutions.
- Budget Planning and Management: take overall responsibility for ensuring the availability, performance and efficient management and reporting of financial resources within agreed budgetary levels; lead the documentation of land use process in all provinces and reporting to national authorities in liaison with the UN-Habitat Regional Office for Africa and the Regional representative for Africa.
- Project Management: plan, monitor and control projects using the PRINCE2 methodology.
- Problem Solving: investigate and resolve problems for services within his/her own area of responsibility; delegate to team members as appropriate; in liaison with the Chief Technical Advisor, manage the relation with United Nations, implementing and governmental partners
and bring them to a satisfactory closure.
- Fundraising: support the resources mobilization activities in the countries including participation to relevant forum and stakeholders’ meetings.
- Representation: attending the UNCT activities in the absence of the Chief Technical Advisor and bring UN-Habitat’s contribution in various settings in the UNCT, including the country common analysis framework.
- May perform other relevant duties as required.
Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
•Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
•Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, land management and legislation, economics, social sciences or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in urban planning, urban governance, land administration or policy, urban environmental management and community programme management, on or related area is required.
At least three years’ work experience in developing countries preferably in a post conflict country in Africa is an asset.
Demonstrated ability to lead a team, providing clear direction, motivating staff, managing their performance appropriately and fairly, and dealing with possible conflicts is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat, for the advertised post, Fluency in both English and French, (both oral and written) is required; Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Click here for more details and to apply for the position on INSPIRA: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=162034