Amahoro @ Scale (Peace-at- Scale) is the Burundi country project of the larger “LAND -at- Scale” program funded by RVO (The Netherlands Enterprise Agency) which is currently active in 14 countries in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia.
Amahoro @ Scale has two distinct aims. The first aim is to use the experience of current and previous Land Tenure Registration (LTR) activities in Burundi to prepare the scaling up of LTR across Burundi. This requires cost-efficient, conflict sensitive and effective processes to be defined and agreed upon by all relevant stakeholders. In essence, a business model for LTR needs to be developed that takes into account the lessons from other districts and to the national legal framework and international standards for LTR. Sustainable LTR needs to facilitate the resolution of land related conflicts that are rooted in, among other things, divergences between statutory and customary land governance, migration and return as well as the discrimination of particular groups and gender discrimination. A second, practical aim of the project is to finalize LTR in Makamba province. This is a crucial step in preparing the scaling up of LTR. It provides an opportunity to find solutions to remaining challenges, e.g. related to the financing of the Communal Land Services (SFC). Read more about the project here.
The consultant has to fulfil the following qualifications to be eligible for the task:
- Master's degree in a branch of law or other relevant field with at least 10 years of experience;
- Experience working in East-Africa, preferable experience in Burundi;
- Demonstrated strong experience in conducting project baseline studies and evaluations;
- Have a good command of evaluation tools and quantitative and qualitative methodologies;
- Good knowledge of the land tenure security process and its challenges in Burundi and solid knowledge in the land tenure field in general;
- Have relevant experience in gender, conflict and legal framework analyses;
- Have a satisfactory experience of collaboration with the technical services of the State, the courts, the United Nations system, NGOs.
- A perfect command of English and French is essential.
You can find more information in the Terms of Reference attached.