The “Improving Land Governance in IGAD Region” project aims at facilitating implementation of the AU Declaration on Land Issues and Challenges in accordance with the Framework and Guidelines on Land Policy in Africa, in order to facilitate access to land and security of land rights for all land users in the IGAD region, especially vulnerable groups such as pastoralists, women and youth. The countries in the IGAD region have different laws governing land as a consequence of their colonial history, diversity of cultural and religious norms, and endowment with natural resources. They are also at various levels in undertaking land reforms. The region is characterized by political instability, with the largest number of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) on the continent. Desertification, climate variability and climate change are major concerns in this region, a region that has substantial desert mass. Drought and floods pose serious challenges for land management. These circumstances have also meant that people move across boarders either as climate or conflict refugees.
IGAD through this project with support from the Swedish Embassy seeks to develop a prototype of a National Land Policy with all the tenets in the AU Framework and Guidelines of Land Policies in Africa (F&G) as well as the Guidelines on Responsible Governance of Tenure over Land, Forests and Fisheries (VGGTs).
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
To Develop a prototype of a National Land Policy with all the tenets in the AU Framework and Guidelines of Land Policies in Africa (F&G) as well as the Guidelines on Responsible Governance of Tenure over Land, Forests and Fisheries (VGGTs).
Political ownership, willingness and commitment are key factors for the definition and implementation of effective land policies and/or land reforms. Land reforms often reflect political compromises between various objectives and interest groups. It is the responsibility of national governments interacting with civil society to make their own land policy choices and craft feasible and effective solutions.
The fowling are the specific objectives of the assignment:
- Undertake a literature review of existing evidence in each of the IGAD Member States on the key elements of land governance (Land tenure land administration, land conflicts and dispute resolution, land use planning and management for both rural and urban land, valuation, taxation and compensation, public and state land management, institutional arrangements including decentralization, provision of public information, trusteeship over natural resources including extractives, oil &gas, land markets & financial services and; land for investment.) with a view of establishing common themes and threads that would frame the prototypical National Land Policy.
- Prepare an issues paper that clearly identifies the legal, policy, institutional and regulatory issues, bottlenecks, gaps and challenges that require to be addressed through a national land policy and propose recommendations that are gender responsive.
- Develop the model/prototypical gender responsive National Land Policy and present it for validation to the IGAD Member States.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The Consultant/firm team is expected to have the following qualifications:
- The Lead Consultant should have expertise on land policy formulation for both rural and urban land.
- The Lead Consultant should have a PhD in land management, land economics, gender studies, public policy, population studies or law with 5 years of professional experience, or A master’s degree in a field relevant to the assignment, such as land tenure, land ,management, land economics, Gender studies, Gender Economics Public Policy, Social Development, combined with at least 5 years professional experience; or A Bachelor’s degree in land management, land economics, law, gender studies, population studies with 10 years of professional experience.
- The second Consultant should be an expert in Gender Mainstreaming. A minimum Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in relevant area (gender studies or social sciences). A Master’s Degree or PhD will be considered an asset; Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in mainstreaming gender in development projects and policies; Record of participation in at least 2 assignments of similar size and degree of complexity (consultancy services in the area of gender mainstreaming in projects, programmes or policies);
- Knowledge of analytical methods and tools for mainstreaming gender in land reforms or related areas is considered an asset;
- Sound understanding of gender and development issues in the IGAD Region;
- Excellent communication, presentation, report writing and analytical skills;
- Mastery of oral and written English
- Very strong writing and analytical skills
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Consultancy is for a total of 21 days spread over three months. The final product i.e. the movie as well as all the raw material and project files, should be delivered to IGAD no later than 28th February 2020.
SUPERVISION AND REPORTING:
The IGAD Land Governance Expert based at the IGAD HQs Djibouti will be the contact person for the duration of the assignment and will also provide relevant background documents and publications.
HOW TO APPLY
Remark: It is important that the two consultants come from different IGAD Member States.
Each application should include the following:
- Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information including how the candidate’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as their interest for the position (not longer than two pages).
- CV of consultants and professional references or letter of recommendation;
- Samples of recent similar assignments.
- The email must clearly state the assignment applied for and marked: “Developing a Practice Manual and Tools for Mainstreaming Gender in the Implementation of Land Reforms and Practices”.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- Women applicants are encouraged.
- The deadline for submitting the applications will be at or before 5:00pm on 15th November 2019 and address for submitting the offer will be:
- The Expression of Interest and any request for clarification should be addressed to the following E-mail addresses:
Administration and Finance, IGAD Secretariat
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653
Djibouti, Rep. of Djibouti