SLA to take over management of state land within public housing estates from HDB starting March 1 | Land Portal
Ng Keng Gene
Language of the news reported: 

Main photo:  The SLA and the Housing Board said that the move will allow for “greater administrative and operational efficiency”. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO

SINGAPORE – From March 1, individuals and organisations will need to turn to the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) to apply for the use of state land within HDB estates for community and religious events such as night markets and Hungry Ghost Festival activities.

In a joint statement on Thursday, SLA and the Housing Board, which currently manages these spaces, said that the move will allow for greater administrative and operational efficiency.

SLA currently manages state land plots outside of public housing estates, such as empty spaces under viaducts, as well as fields near Haw Par Villa MRT station and Dover Road.

With the handover, SLA will issue temporary occupation licences needed for the use of state land in public housing estates, and handle the maintenance and feedback.

Temporary occupation licences are required when these spaces are used for religious and community events, as well as for community gardens.

The agencies said that HDB currently manages and maintains about 1,408ha of state land within public housing estates and manages about 600 temporary occupation licences.

Examples of plots within public housing estates that will fall under SLA’s care from March 1 include a field next to Woodlands MRT station and a hard court next to Choa Chu Kang MRT station where night markets are often set up.

“All key terms and conditions of licences or tenancy agreements issued by HDB and prevailing as of the transfer date will remain unchanged,” said HDB and SLA.

They added that “the public can be assured that the transition of the management agency will be seamless”.

State land in public housing estates such as a hardcourt near Choa Chu Kang MRT station will come under the SLA’s management from March 1. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM ONEMAP

Before March 1, licensees and tenants can continue to approach HDB for help on matters relating to their temporary occupation licences and day-to-day operations.

The agency has been managing state land within public housing estates since 1987, when it was appointed as the agent for such land for the former Land Office, which has since come under SLA.

For inquiries on matters relating to the transfer, licensees and tenants can call HDB on 6490-3177, or submit a request through

From March 1, all new temporary occupation licence applications for the use of vacant state land within HDB estates will be handled by SLA, and applications may be submitted at

Those who wish to check if a site is state land can do so using the LandQuery feature at, while feedback on municipal issues can continue to be submitted through the OneService App.

Copyright © Source (mentioned above). All rights reserved. The Land Portal distributes materials without the copyright owner’s permission based on the “fair use” doctrine of copyright, meaning that we post news articles for non-commercial, informative purposes. If you are the owner of the article or report and would like it to be removed, please contact us at and we will remove the posting immediately.

Various news items related to land governance are posted on the Land Portal every day by the Land Portal users, from various sources, such as news organizations and other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. The copyright lies with the source of the article; the Land Portal Foundation does not have the legal right to edit or correct the article, nor does the Foundation endorse its content. To make corrections or ask for permission to republish or other authorized use of this material, please contact the copyright holder.

Share this page