The Land Portal Foundation is a non-for-profit organization based in the Netherlands dedicated to supporting the efforts of the rural poor to gain equitable access to land by addressing the fragmentation of information resources on land. We believe access to information is crucial to achieve good land governance and to secure land rights for vulnerable people. Our mission is to build an information ecosystem for land governance that supports better informed decision and policy making at national and international levels. Our belief is that within a functioning and inclusive information ecosystem data, both information and the diversity of perspectives become more visible and accessible to a much larger audience. Ultimately, this significantly increases the chances that the information reaches target audiences in a way that contributes to securing people’s land rights.
The Land Portal website brings together content from over 1,000 partner organizations all over the world.
Justification and Purpose of the Assignment
The Land Portal website is the very essence of our organization. This is where we showcase knowledge products , tools and services and point our over 50,000 visitors a month to a myriad of different sources on land data and information. It is the platform where we showcase our activities and the source of our credibility in the land governance sector. Its consistent management and curation, continuous improvements to user experience and developments of new and improved features, are thus critical to the organization. This is why we seek the support of a Web Manager to join the existing IT team and help maintain, curate, develop and continuously enhance the Land Portal website.
You have an eye for detail and a mind that is both analytical and creative. We’re looking for someone who understands the inherent complexity of web production, knows how to balance stakeholder needs and works well with remote international development teams.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Website management (Drupal) & user experience:
- Constantly monitor the website performance and suggest enhancements and improvements.
- Regularly approve user accounts on the Land Portal and prevent spam;
- Check modules are up to date and correctly implemented;
- Proactively suggest the best views for the content;
- Provide Land Portal team guidance and support to work with the website and develop tutorials accordingly;
- Develop and implement a plan of action to enhance user experience on the Land Portal in collaboration with the rest of the Land Portal team.
- Liaise with and assist the Land Portal designer on design elements or visualization developments;
- Website development
- Provide inputs and assist the coordination of new web developments and safeguarding the Land Portal web structure in the process;
- Implement minor web developments through the Land Portal’s CMS (Drupal) interface when needed;
- Develop and implement Search Engine Optimization Strategies to increase the website’s visibility;
- Contribute to website audits, development implementations and evaluation and testing of website improvements and web-based applications
- Website monitoring & reporting
- Monitor Land Portal website on a daily basis, review users’ feedback through web forms as well as periodic Land Portal user surveys, analyze usage statistics and search engine results and provide this information to the Team Leader and the Board of Directors;
- Provide constant web monitoring to ensure that the Land Portal website is live and functioning, and track and evaluate its usability and performance;
- Make recommendations on website’s enhancement and improvement of functionality based on gathered data from monitoring reports and its analysis.
- Proven knowledge of Content Management Systems (CMS) including experience with Drupal;
- University degree in Communications and Multimedia, Information Technology, or related disciplines;
- Proven experience in web resource developments, including web and content management and enhancing user experience;
- Passion for web management and knowledge of the industry's growth and best-practice standards.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, Adwords, Survey Monkey and other website statistics or survey tools;
- Able to provide tutorials, trainings to Land Portal team as well as Land Portal users;
- A combination of excellent problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multitasking and remote environment with strong work ethics and ability to self motivate and self organize;
- Excellent command of English.
- Affinity with the Land Portal’s mission, to support sustainable developments and eradicate poverty through open development and open data.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Graphic Software Applications (such as Adobe Creative Suite or others) and experience in using video editing software is considered an asset; knowledge of data visualization is a plus.
- Knowledge of CRM systems is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Portuguese is considered an advantage;
Terms of the contract
The Web Manager will be working from his/her location for a probationary period of three (3) months, with the intention to extend to at least a year. The position is for a minimum of three (3) days per week, with the possibility to extend to full time.
The Web Manager will work under the supervision of the Land Portal’s Web Manager, and in close collaboration with the Communications and System Administration & Development team. The Land Portal team works on a remote basis and has regular team calls. Therefore any applicant should have stable internet connection and home based facilities to be able to fulfill this role. The web manager will report to the Land Portal team Leader and be accountable to the Land Portal Board.
Interested candidates are expected to submit:
- Cover letter (one-page);
- Two references for similar work who can be contacted. University references are also accepted.
by closing of business day (European Summer Time) October 17th 2021 to the following email address email@example.com.
For questions or clarifications regarding this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org